dotPhoto is both an open and closed system. When we started in 1999, most of our customers were intensely concerned about privacy; as attitudes changed, people wanted to more easily share their photos.
If you don't want anyone to look into your account, set a guest password on your account in the MyAccount section.
- Sign into your dotPhoto account.
- Tap on the MyAccount link at the top.
- Tap on Account Settings on the left.
- Tap on Account Information.
- Add a guest password.
- Scroll down and click the Save button.
If you want to ensure that someone can see only ONE album, apply a password to that album AND a guest password on the entire account. The guest password and the album password must be different passwords. Signing in with the album album password will only display the album that uses that password.
To apply an album password
Tap into your album, tap Organize and Album Settings
Add an album password, and tap the green Save button.
When you require a guest password, no one can view your photos without the guest password -- unless you send them an invitation link from within dotPhoto. Also, your photos will not be visible in your photo web site (the MyWebSite feature.)
- If albums share a password, someone who uses that password will see ALL the albums that share the password.
- If you have no guest password, and someone uses an album-level password, they will see the album AND all the albums that have NO password.
- If you have a guest password at the account level and that password is the same as an album password, a guest will see ALL the albums with no password AND the album that shares the guest password.
- To ensure that no album can be seen by any other album owner, apply a different password to every album. You can also add a guest password at the account level that will protect all albums that have NO album-level password. However, enabling account-level and album-level guest passwords will prevent your albums from appearing in the public MyWebSite feature.
The Guest Password feature is a global privacy feature. Click here for more information on setting album passwords: