Rules of Thumb for Resolution
- The best printing resolution is 300 dots per inch (dpi), so the best resolution for a 4x6 would be 1200x1800. (It can also be larger.)
- The dotphoto lab rejects print orders for images less than 100 dots per inch because we know from experience that customers will not appreciate the prints. However, if you still want to print very small photos, you may upsize them prior to placing your order. Upsizing gives you a chance to see how a photo will look in a larger size before you print it. It may be pixelleted (blocky) or blurry, but the decision to print is up to you.
How can I print a very small image?
Let's say you have an extremely small image of 200 x 300 pixels. Printing this image will make it look blocky or "pixelatted" like this:
The print will look worse than the screen image because screens have a lower resolution than prints:
The best way to print a small print is to print it on a 4x6 with a large border or "canvas." You will get the original resolution of your image without pixelation.
To add a white border to your small image:
- Tap the image, and choose the pencil icon from the upper left to launch the editor
- Choose Image from the top menu.
- Choose Canvas Size.
- Set the measurement to in or inches.
- Set the width to 6 and height to 4 for a landscape image, or 4 by 6 for a portrait image.
- Tap the OK button.
- From the top File menu, choose Save to save your edited photo.
This photo will provide a good resolution print of your small image.
How can I upsize an image to print?
NOTE: Upsizing cannot create detail where no detail existed. An extremely small image (say, 200 x 300) will look very poor if printed as even a 5x7 because the image had very few pixels to begin with. However, sometimes upsizing an image may allow it to be printed as a 3x5 or 4x6 print. Upsized prints are not eligible for dotphoto's Print Satisfaction guarantee.
How to Upsize a Print
- Start by tapping on the photo and then on the Edit icon (the pencil) in the upper left.
- In the Image menu, choose Image Size.
- Set the longest side to 900, which will print a 4x6 or 3x5 at the best possible resolution. A very small photo will not print legibly above a 4x6.
- Click OK.
- Confirm the edit by click on the check, and then File and Save.
- You will now have two copies of the photo in your album. Print the second, larger one as a 3x5 or 4x6.